Drying Up a Wet Basement is a Big Job

I see all those ads on TV for wet basements. I never knew how much of a problem in our area that it really is. That is, until our basement got wet. It started with the concrete block turning darker just around the mortar joints. Then you could see it glistening on the floor at the base of the walls. We had plenty of notice. We just did not notice it. The humidity kept climbing in the basement, and we had two dehumidifiers running. When the water appeared, I looked at the Stratum reviews to see if they could help us out.

It is not an easy fix to dry up a wet basement. It depends on the cause. I had no idea of the force of hydrostatic pressure on the walls of our house. We had a soil type that retained moisture. When it rained, it got moist in the basement. We did not have any flowing water, but we had the mold forming and the dank smells starting. We cleared the entire basement of organic matter. We painted the floor joists with mold-killing paint. The construction people decided that a drain system to a sump would be best for us.

They cut a channel along the walls at the floor. Right up at the edge of the walls. Then they drilled and the water flowed. It drained for along time before the sump stopped running. A plastic cover was installed to direct the water, and plastic sheeting was attached to the walls. Every drop that came in now flowed to the sump that had a tight cap on it. The next step was installing non-organic wall panels that were completely impervious to moisture. They looked like regular wall surfaces. Then we had non-organic flooring installed that looked like wood. Now our basement is dry and finished.